The primary mission of the DC Anti-Violence Project (DCAVP) is to work to reduce violence against LGBTQ+ individuals (and those perceived as LGBTQ+) through community outreach, education, and monitoring cases to ensure that the rights and dignity of LGBTQ+ victims are respected and protected. DCAVP also seeks to assist victims of anti-LGBTQ+ violence by advocating on their behalf, encouraging reporting, and providing a community of support.
Who are we?
- The DC Anti-Violence Project is a grassroots, volunteer-led organization dedicated to the eradication of violence against the LGBTQ+ community.
- We are committed to acting locally and centering the voices, visions, and priorities of those most impacted and at-risk for violence in our work.
- Recognizing that violence is physical, institutional, cultural, and systemic – and that oppression is a form of violence – DCAVP seeks to comprehensively address all forms of violence against the LGBTQ+ community.
- We want to build a world free from violence against our community and beyond, engaging creatively with solutions through advocacy, community organizing, and survivor support.
- Violence occurs against our community in DC every day. As a community-led organization, we seek to build connections within our local ecosystem, working collaboratively for local change and transformative justice.
- We recognize that justice looks different for everyone. In cases of interpersonal harm, we value and respect what justice means to survivors – whether or not that involves law enforcement and the criminal legal system. At the community level we seek to shift away from criminalization towards community accountability, primary prevention, and restorative justice.
- Some specific issues we have activated against with events, impact statements, media presence and policy advocacy are Violence Against Trans Women, Sex Work Decriminalization, Street Harassment, Hate Crimes, Black Lives Matter, Rape Culture, Self Defense.
- Anyone is welcome to join the DCAVP and bring your ideas and energy for activist activities.
LGBTQ+ Voices Against Violence Open Mic Events
- DCAVP deeply values creativity, empowerment and transformation in healing. Our LGBTQ+ Voices Against Violence events provide a forum for our community to use their voices – in all of their beautiful and varying forms – to speak out in solidarity against violence.
- These events strive to create a safe and inclusive spaces for all who seek to speak out as a form of resistance and healing.
- LGBTQ+ Voices Against Violence enables members of our community to stand together against the scourge of violence, and to harness their creative outlets – from poetry and spoken word to music and dance – to building a society free from physical and institutional violence.
- We believe in the power of our words and our creative energies to change the world, one performance at a time.