The DC Center is looking for a motivated, energetic individual to coordinate its Center Latinx program, which centers queer, trans, non-binary, Black, brown, Indigenous, Two-Spirit, and disabled Latinxs in the DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia) area.
This is a part-time, staff position that will require approximately 15 hours of work per week between October 2018 and September 2019.
The employee will be in charge of:
- Managing the Center Latinx program, including all of its events, community partner relationships, social media pages, bilingual monthly newsletters, blogs, and more
- Administering the Mayor’s Office on Latino Affairs grant that funds Center Latinx, including drafting all quarterly and final reports, and tracking the budget and workplan,
- Organizing bi-monthly meetings of the Latinx LGBTQIA+ Coalition, a loose collective of trans and queer Latinx individuals and organizations in the DMV area
- Organizing a job readiness training to expand DC’s Latinx LGBTQIA+ community’s workforce development
- Planning town halls, community dialogues, and workshops on issues that impact Latinx LGBTQIA+ communities,
- Hosting arts and cultural events that uplift Latinx hxstories and diverse communities
- Building relationships and uplift members of the local community, and seek ways to collaborate to transform the lives of Latinx LGBTQIA+ people in DC
- Working with DC Center staff as needed, and uphold the mission and values of the organization
- Educating themselves on the many DC Center programs and other local resources, including housing and other emergency assistance, and staff the support desk as needed
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a personal and deep understanding of issues that impact Latinx LGBTQIA+ communities in DC and beyond,
- Be proficient at speaking Spanish in a professional and community setting,
- Have experience with event organizing and planning,
- Know how to use grassroots organizing methods and social media to reach community members, and
- Be highly self-motivated and able to work flexible hours, including some nights and weekends.
Interested individuals can contact Justin Johns at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 682-2245 with questions or to apply for the position with a cover letter and resume. Please submit all applications by close of business on Monday, October 8th.