David Ring, OutWrite Co-Chair
OutWrite and Theatre Prometheus Launch A Queer One Page Play Competition
WASHINGTON, D.C. — OutWrite and Theatre Prometheus have joined forces to raise up underrepresented voices in the DC Theater scene. Together, they are launching a Queer One-Page Play Competition to run from June 15th until July 15th. The winning plays will be put on in conjunction with Theatre Prometheus in the fall/winter of 2017. Submission details are included at the end of this text.
The winning plays will be selected by the competition judges:
- Tracey Erbacher, Artistic Director of Theater Prometheus
- Lauren Patton, Associate Artistic Director of Theatre Prometheus
- Matt Torney, Associate Artistic Director at Studio Theater
- Kirsten Bower, Literary Director at Woolly Mammoth Theatre Company
- Lonnell Butler, Programming Coordinator at the Emerging Arts Leaders Symposium
Four winning plays will be selected by the judges. An additional winning play will be selected by attendees of the 2017 OutWrite LGBT Book Festival on August 5th at the DC Center.
There is a $5 entry fee, which can be paid through OutWrite’s website here: https://thedccenter.org/events/a-queer-one-page-play-competition-entry/
Please follow these guidelines in preparing your submission:
- Each submission can be only one page. The play must fit on one side of one page of letter-size white paper, with a one half-inch margin on all four sides. The page must not be folded but may be decorated in any two-dimensional way, and the text must be legible without the use of a magnifying glass.
- This contest is restricted to plays written in English and/or Spanish.
- Multiple submissions are acceptable, but each submission requires a separate entry fee.
- Submissions should be saved in .pdf format.
- In addition to writing quality and the feasibility of a play to be put on, judges will be especially interested in three criteria: originality, representation, and relevance to the competition’s LGBTQ focus.
- Judges reserve the right to reject any submission for any reason.
Entries must be submitted no earlier than June 15, 2017 and no later than July 15, 2017. The submission window closes at midnight, July 15 EST.
Send all submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each entry must include the following:
- A subject line including your last name and the words “One Page Play Competition Submission”
- In the body of the email: the title of the play; your name and contact information (including street address, phone number, and email address), a brief biography, and the PayPal Transaction ID for your entry fee
- Your submission attached in .pdf format without your name or contact information
Any updates to these guidelines will be posted here: https://onepageplay.tumblr.com/
Outwrite is a celebration of LGBTQ literature, authors, writers, and poets. This year’s festival will kick off on Friday, August 4th with an event in collaboration with Smut Slam DC — location and details to be announced soon! On Saturday, August 5th, there will be a full day of readings, panels, book sales, and exhibitors at the DC Center. To finish the weekend, a number of writing workshops will be held on Sunday, August 6th. OutWrite 2017’s keynote speaker is Cecilia Tan. Cecilia is an author, editor and publisher at Circlet Press, which is celebrating its 25th anniversary this year. Further information here: www.outwritedc.org. Find us on Facebook and Twitter.
About Theatre Prometheus
Founded in 2013, Theatre Prometheus is a not-for-profit organization with a goal of exploring and promoting woman-focused, diverse narratives. We believe in the power of local theater and are committed to providing opportunities to local artists, creating productions both by and for the communities we live in. Theatre Prometheus is a sponsored program of Fractured Atlas and has been awarded a residency at the Anacostia Arts Center, to take place in November and December of 2017.